To get some good English or other none Chinese language books in Beijing go to Foreign Languages Bookstore
It located in the city center of Beijing and they have a 3 story building with most English books, a large Japanese section and some books in French and Spanish.
On the first floor they have a large section of maps and tourist guides for China and Beijing.
I highly recommend the book Beijing Walks from Mao Xiang if you stay for a longer time in Beijing and want to discover Beijing on foot. The book has 16 nice walks: Walking through old Beijing hutongs, you will pass or visit many sites that you cannot find in any other tourist guide books, such as the last emperor’s mansion, princes palaces, residences of famous historical figures, temples and churches, old Embassy Row, imperial government offices, famous commercial streets with old shops, as well as mysteries and stories behind the walls. Pictures and maps are also provided to guide you in each walk. Background information enriches your knowledge about the events and stories once happened in this imperial capital.
Another great book that I discovered getting adjusted to the Chinese is: 101 Stories for Foreigners to Understand Chinese People. This book is a collection of 101 anecdotes and cultural learning’s, to explain everyday Chinese customs and etiquette to foreigners. And this book is a decidedly informal and humorous one, not an academic discourse on modern Chinese culture!
There is also a Spanish edition available 101 Histroias para que los extranjeros entiendan a los chinos
Overview of the first floor Foreign Languages Bookstore in the famous Wangfujing shopping street, Dongcheng, Beijing.
Featured image thanks to Erica Breetoe
Napoleon Hill (October 26, 1883 – November 8, 1970) was an American author who was one of the earliest producers of the modern genre of personal-success literature. He is widely considered to be one of the great writers on success. His most famous work, Think and Grow Rich (1937), is one of the best-selling books of all time (at the time of Hill’s death in 1970, Think and Grow Rich had sold 20 million copies). Hill’s works examined the power of personal beliefs, and the role they play in personal success. He became an advisor to President Franklin D. Roosevelt from 1933 to 1936. “What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve” is one of Hill’s hallmark expressions. How achievement actually occurs, and a formula for it that puts success in reach of the average person, were the focal points of Hill’s books.
One of my favourite writers, with one of his best quotes:
a goal is a dream with a deadline
Recommendations for personal self help books
Although probably 90% of the population never reads a business books, we created a list of personal-success books which are worth reading. There are hundreds of success book but at Maripositas we think this is the top 25. We tried not to focus on one theme but instead we kept the spectrum as wide as possible.
- Think and Grow Rich
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad
- The Strangest Secret
- How To Win Friends and Influence People
- The Richest Man in Babylon
- Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
- Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
- The Secret
- The Last Lecture
- Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway
- The Greatest Salesman in the World
- You Were Born Rich
- Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose (Oprah’s Book Club, Selection 61)
- Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness
- How Would Love Respond?: Imagine If You Were Given a Gift So Powerful That You Knew You Had to Share It With the World
- A Philosopher’s Notes – On Optimal Living, Creating an Authentically Awesome Life and Other Such Goodness
- You Can Heal Your Life
- Awaken the Giant Within : How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
- The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth
- The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom: Practical and Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying
- Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
- As a Man Thinketh (Life-Changing Classics Ser) (Life-Changing Pamphlet)
Any other ideas of books that belong to this list? Let us know your comments. One of the books doesn’t belong in the list, tell us right away.
Featured image thanks to Leon
If you’re reading this! You probably spend a fair amount of time staring at the walls in the smallest room in the house. The toilet, i.e. thinking room, is where more critical decisions are made. We all cherish our time in the john, loo, washroom, restroom, powder room, and whatever else you want to call it. Ultimately, it provides us with peace of mind and refuge from our everyday headaches. A lot of people like to read something in the bathroom If you need something good to read and pass the time, the following are meant for you! By the way……..you might want to pass on buying any of these books used. Have fun and buy them all to build your own bathroom library!
Continue reading Top 10 Bathroom Books